There are two uniquely-designed golf courses at The Verandah Club— Whispering Oak and Old Orange. Both offer golfers of all levels the exciting chance to experience golf at its best.
Old Orange Course
Old Orange is a Bob Cupp-designed golf course, our first championship golf course opened back in 2003. Harkening back to golfing roots in the 1910s and the Roaring Twenties, this classic design boasts a natural layout that works with existing stands of trees and plenty of undisturbed waterways. Live Oak trees set the tone for a serene, natural style of landscaping that makes for a truly enjoyable golf experience.
Featuring 7,118 yards and a par of 72 and the finest, carefully tended Bermuda grass, Old Orange is spectacularly beautiful, with views of the Orange River throughout.
Verandah Golf Club is proud to host the annual Nelson Cup Matches at the 18-hole championship Old Orange Course.
Whispering Oak Golf Course
Designed by Jack Nicklaus and Jack Nicklaus, II, ASGCA, Whispering Oak course features 7,214 yards with a par of 72. Golfers will love the compact greens, the large stands of live Oaks dripping with Spanish Moss, and other natural elements that make this a truly memorable course.
Whispering Oak was designed to complement the existing Old Orange. The greens offer unique challenges— one of them was inspired by a unique and famous feature of the world-famous golf course at St. Andrews in Scotland, one of the oldest golf courses in the world.
National Recognition for Verandah’s Golf Courses
The dynamic design duo of Nicklaus and Nicklaus had a vision for Whispering Oak, and the results speak for themselves.
- When it was completed in 2007, Verandah’s Whispering Oak course was named one of Golf Inc. magazine’s top new courses.
- In addition, it was among the top five finalists for that publication’s Development of the Year award.
- Native Oak hammocks were saved and worked into the design of the course.
- The finishing hole is located among the Oaks, creating a signature moment in every golfer’s experience.
- Whispering Oak was created on a former cattle farm with sustainability in mind— wildlife habitats were restored and wetlands were reintroduced.
- The course is among nature preserves, creating a memorable golf experience for all players.
Find Out More